Yanagawa, the Venice of Kyushu
Destination Spot – Yanagawa, Kyushu – Ferryboats
Yanagawa is a peaceful town, where riverboats come and go and the faint sound of water lapping against boats skillfully maneuvered by ferrymen can be heard.
Around 410 years ago, Yanagawa Castle’s defenses were fortified with moats. This is also when Yanagawa Town, the area surrounding the castle, was developed.
A variety of mechanisms and safeguards from that time, such as irrigation systems and flood controls, still remain in Yanagawa Town today.
Yanagawa, Kyushu – Ferryboats
There are boat rides that take passengers, even just a single person, without needing a reservation. I decided to try out one of these rides.
The ferryman slowly and skillfully directed the boat down the narrow canals while singing a boating song. The canals are slightly below ground level, and I was moved by the beauty of the view from the boat.
Yanagawa, Ferryboats, Basic Information
Boarding Information of Ferryboats
- Boarding Information
- Tickets available at the Shogetsu Punting Station ticket window. No reservation necessary.
- Shogetsu Punting Station Address
- 329 Mitsuhashimachi Takahatake, Yanagawa, Fukuoka Prefecture
- Departure Times
- From 9:00 until 17:00, every 10 minutes and 40 minutes past the hour.
- Around 60-70 minutes. The course is about 4.5 kilometers long.
- Adults 1600 yen. Children (6-11 years old) 800 yen. Children 5 and under free.