Kuzuryu Shrine Hongu
This is one of the most popular power spots in Hakone; for a god of matchmaking.
This is a sacred place of worship for the dragon gods, where the legend of the nine-headed dragon of Lake Ashinoko has been passed down to this day. It was built as a shrine outside the precincts of Hakone Shrine, which is known as the main shrine of the Kanto region, and stands in the lush Hakone Kuzuryu forest by Lake Ashinoko. It is famous for its divine virtues such as good luck with money, good fortune, and prosperity in business, and in recent years it has become especially popular as a god of matchmaking.
On the 13th of every month, a Shinto ritual and monthly festival is held, which attracts many worshippers from all over Japan. The shrine is open to everyone, and on the 13th, a special boat departs from Motohakone Port at 8:00 a.m. for the visitors. Those of you who are interested, do check it out.
(To prevent the spread of the Covid-19 infection, the Kuzuryu Shrine Hongu's monthly festival is currently held only for priests and representatives, and is not open to the general public. Information as of July 2021)
After visiting the main shrine of Kuzuryu Shrine, be sure to pay a visit to Hakone Shrine as well and pray for good luck. It is where Minamoto no Yoritomo and Tokugawa Ieyasu are said to have worshiped and visited.
This is one of the most famous power spots in Hakone, where the legend of the nine-headed dragon of Lake Ashinoko has been passed down to this day.
It is known as the god of matchmaking, and many worshippers come to pray for a good relationship.
On the 13th of every month, a Shinto ritual and monthly festival are held, which is also popular. (Currently not open to the public. Information as of July 2021 )
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- Inside Hakone Kuzuryu Forest, Motohakone, Hakonemachi, Ashigarashimogun, Kanagawa
- 0460-83-7123 (Hakone Shrine)
- Open every day
- Hakone Kuzuryu Forest is open from 9:00am-5:00pm, subject to change depending on the season; please inquire for details)
- Free of charge (admission to Hakone Kuzuryu Forest is 600 yen)
(1) To get to the Hakone Kuzuryu Forest, take the Izu Hakone Bus bound for Hakone-en from Hakone-Yumoto Station on the Hakone Tozan Railway for about one hour, get off at the last stop, and walk for about 30 minutes. About 10 minutes walk from Hakone Kuzuryu Forest stop.
(2) On the 13th of every month, it takes about 20 minutes by boat for visitors from Motohakone Port (1,000 yen round trip), or about 10 minutes on foot from Jumoku-en Port (currently closed to the public; information as of July 2021).
- Credit Cards
- Not accepted
- Official Website
- Official Website (Japanese)