Nakagawa Aquatic Park
Japan’s largest river aquarium with 300 species living in the Naka River, Amazon River, and coral reefs.
This is the only aquarium in Tochigi Prefecture and the largest river aquarium in Japan, featuring approximately 60 tanks. The aquarium houses creatures from the Naka River, the clearest river in the Kanto region which flows through Tochigi Prefecture; also featured are species from as far as the Amazon River, the Great Barrier Reef, a coral reef in Australia. 20,000 fish of 300 species are displayed here. Interestingly, they also collect fish from famous tourist spots such as Lake Chuzenji, allowing visitors to learn more about those areas from a different perspective.
One of the most spectacular exhibits is the circular visible tube, a large tunnel shaped tank which recreates the Amazon River. You will feel like you are at the bottom of the Amazon River as you watch the piranhas, arapaima, and 100 other Amazonian creatures swim past above your head.
The Park also has ponds for where can cast a fishing line or catch fish by hand. A variety of events are provided too. The Park has a plaza with seasonal flowers and playground equipment, making it a fun place for the whole family. For a break after these fun times, don’t miss the Amazon Cafe or the traditional soba noodle shop Yuzukami. Once you enjoy it all, stop by the museum store or the fresh local vegetable stand to pick up some souvenirs to take home!
The largest river aquarium in Japan.
A variety of hands-on events.
A park with a pond for catching fish by hand or casting a line. Playground equipment too.
Good food options including café menus and traditional soba noodles.
Museum store and direct sales of fresh local vegetables.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 2686 Sarado, Otawara City, Tochigi
- Entrance fee (tax included): Adults (high school students and older) 650 yen, Children (elementary and junior high school students) 250 yen, Infants (under elementary school age) and disabled persons free
Mondays (or the following day if Monday is a national holiday), 4th Thursday of the month (or the following day if 4th Thursday is a national holiday)
＊Opens for New Year’s Holidays
＊Closed on Monday through Friday of the 4th week of January every year for facility maintenance.
* Temporarily closed for construction from November 1, 2021 to February 28, 2022.
- Business Hours
9:30am-4:30pm (Last admission is 30 minutes before closing)
* From July 20th to August 31st, 9:30am-5:00pm
- About 40 minutes by Kanto Bus from Nishinasuno Station of JR Utsunomiya Line.
- No smoking allowed inside (smoking area available in the outside park)
- Credit Cards
- Not accepted
- Official Website
- Official Website (Japanese) / Official Website (English)