Walking tour of Imaicho
A town that developed uniquely within the compound of a Buddhist temple to maintain a distance from samurai forces
Walking Tour of Historic Streetscape from the Edo Period
Imaicho in Kashihara, Nara still has the appearance of an antiquated town. It was built between 1532 and 1555 with a Buddhist temple at its center, and while clashes continued with samurai forces, they were granted a license to trade from Oda Nobunaga in 1575, and the town was absolved of any wrongdoing. During the Edo period (1603–1868), this became an important location for the transportation of goods, and by developing into a commercial town, they were given permission by the Edo shogunate (government) to distribute their own currency. At the time, it had been developed into a cutting edge town on par with Osaka and Sakai.
See an experience report for this facility!
I loved the Edo-style architecture of the interior and exterior of the buildings. A lovely historical city with a peaceful and stylish ambience.
Looking inside a traditional house, and learning how people lived in the Edo Era
Lovely down and interesting tour
Imai town is an Edo era historical site of residence streets. It feels like strolling back in time. Some of the residences are open to the public with a reservation, but walking around learning the history with a local guide makes a memorable experience.
The Imaicho area is just captivating! Great atmosphere. Perfect for a lazy and relaxed tour.
- Name of experience
Walking tour of Imaicho
*It does not have any established programs.
- Name of facility
- Imai Streetscape Cultural Exchange Center "Hanairaka"
- 2-3-5 Imaicho, Kashihara City, Nara 634-0812
- Business Hours
- 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Imai Streetscape Cultural Exchange Center "Hanairaka")
- The New Year holiday (Dec. 29 to Jan. 3) (Imai Streetscape Cultural Exchange Center "Hanairaka")
- The guide is free of charge, with 1,000 yen for traveling expenses. There are meal fees if mealtime overlaps with it. Some of the facilities have admission fees.
- Payment method
- Many stores in town only take cash
- Number of guests accepted (groups)
- Up to 15 people are assigned to a single guide
- Telephone number
- Requesting a guide: 0744-20-1123 (Kashihara City Tourism Association)
- Foreign language support
- Available (English only)
- Official Website
- Official Website (Japanese)