Verified [Verified] denotes information that has been published with confirmation of its owing parties.
Homangu Kamado Jinja
A Shrine Known as the Mecca of Popular Manga “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba” and a Place Full of Beautiful Nature
Kamado Jinja is a shrine with over 1350 years of history. It enshrines Tamayori-hime, who has been worshipped as a kami (Shinto god) of marriage since ancient times. She has also been worshipped as a kami of “hoyoke” (protection from calamities related to direction) and “yakuyoke” (protection against misfortune).
Located at the base of Mt. Homan, the area is also famous for its cherry blossoms in spring and beautiful leaves in the fall, so you can enjoy gorgeous scenery during any season.
The highest building of Kamado Jinja is located at the peak of Mt. Homan, at 829 meters above sea level. It takes about 2 hours to climb up to the building, and Mt. Homan is a very popular mountain for climbers to visit.
Currently it’s considered a “mecca” for the popular manga “Demon Slayer,” and many fans of the series come visit because of it.
Why Kamado Jinja is the Mecca for “Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba”
“Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba” is an incredibly popular Japanese manga series that has been serialized in Shonen Jump since 2016. It has sold over 60 million copies overall. The series ended on May 18th of 2020, but its popularity is still going strong, and it has been called one of the most influential manga and anime series.
The reasons are:
- The shrine’s name is “Kamado,” which is also the last name of the main characters Tanjiro and Nezuko.
- It is said that the shrine was established to seal a “demon gate” and protect the Dazaifu government. This is similar to the series’ demon slaying theme. .
- The practitioners at Kamado Jinja are dressed in checkered clothes. This is the same pattern as the haori that the main character, Tanjiro, wears.
A mecca for the popular manga series “Demon Slayer.”.
Many omamori (charms) and ema (wooden prayer tablets) are here, and many ema on display have illustrations of characters from Demon Slayer on them. .
There is an observation deck located behind the omamori conferment desk that overlooks Dazaifu’s cityscape.
The shrine is close to Dazaifu Tenman-gu, known for enshrining a kami of learning, so it’s recommended to visit both.
The shrine’s office was remodeled in 2012 to give it a more modern design.
Climbing equipment is needed to reach the highest area of the shrine.
- Name in Japanese
- 宝満宮 竈門神社
- Postal Code
- 883 Uchiyama, Dazaifu, Fukuoka
Open all day for worship
Prayer Reception: 9:00am-4:00pm
Conferment of Talismans and Charms: 8:00am-7:00pm
- Take the community bus “Mahoroba” from the Dazaifu Line’s Dazaifu Station of the Nishi-Nippon Railroad, then get off at the last stop, “Uchiyama.” The shrine is a short walk from there. (Approximately a 10-minute ride. 100 yen fare.)
- Official Website
- Official Website (Japanese)