Hokusai-kan (Hokusai Museum)
This museum is dedicated to Katsushika Hokusai’s powerful art in vivid colors.
The Ukiyoe print artist in Edo Period, Katsushika Hokusai is world-renowned for Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji. When he was over 80, Takaki kozan, a wealthy farmer, invited him to Obuse. During a number of visits, Hokusai created brilliant and dynamic art, many of which are curated here.
Paintings by his own hand, prints and books of woodblock prints are exhibited. Hanging scrolls and folding screens are hand-painted originals in beautiful hues and vigor. Big festival floats have ceilings painted by Hokusai. Each of the Higashimachi and Uemachi floats is intriguing to see with a dragon/phoenix and masculine/feminine “angry waves.” They are both designated as treasures of Nagano Prefecture.
The museum has different theme exhibitions throughout the year. You may want to visit a few times in different seasons.
There is a shop within the museum that offers handkerchiefs, T-shirts, postcards, etc. with Hokusai’s art on them. Get the mementos of your trip.
The museum that exhibits the art of the Ukiyoe artist in Edo Period, Katsushika Hokusai.
You can see Hokusai’s original powerful paintings.
Check out the two festival floats with ceilings painted by Hokusai.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 485 Obuse, Obusemachi, Kamitakaigun, Nagano
- Dec 31 (While switching exhibitions, the contents may differ. Call the museum for detail)
9am-5pm (Entry allowed until 4:30pm)
* January 1st: 10am-3pm
- Adults: 1,000 yen, High Schooler: 500 yen, Middle school, and elementary students: 300 yen, Younger than elementary children: Free
1) from Nagano Electric Railway, Nagano Line, Obuse Station. walk 12 min.
2) from Joshinetsu Expressway, Suzaka Nagano Higashi Interchange, drive 20 min.
3) from Joshinetsu Expressway, Shinshu-Nakano Interchange, drive 15 min.
4) from Joshinetsu Expressway, Obuse PA Smart Interchange, drive 8 min.
- Credit Cards
- Accepted (JCB, American Express, Diners Club, DISCOVER, Mastercard, Visa, UnionPay)
- Official Website
- Official Website (English)