Machinaka Yugakukan Kimono Experience
Stroll through the Cobblestone Streets of Ashikaga in a Meisen Kimono or Armor!
Long ago, Ashikaga prospered as a textile town. If you’re seeking an experience to recapture the special color of this place, look no further than Machinaka Yugakukan. Here, you can experience wearing kimono made with Ashikaga Meisen silk, as well as the armor (with a helmet) worn by warriors or samurai when they went to battle.
Meisen is a type of flat-weave silk. From the imperial Taisho (1912-1926) to early Showa (1926-1989) eras, it was all the rage throughout Japan. With Meisen silks, the warp and weft colors are deliberately shifted to create patterns characterized by blurred color boundaries.
These bold, colorful patterns tell the tale of the Taisho era, as Meisen silks were the driving force of fashion at the time. Ashikaga was one of the 5 major production centers in Japan for this Meisen silk. Its charm lies in its vivid colors and high quality. Even now, Meisen’s stylish colors and patterns leave a modern impression, and this fabric is loved as a symbol of retro-modernism.
Walking the streets of Ashikaga, dressed in kimono or armor, is sure to be a special memory of your trip!
The staff will dress you up in an Ashikaga Meisen kimono.
You can be outfitted in a Japanese helmet and armor set.
Stroll through the elegant, cobblestone streets of Ashikaga in kimono or armor.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 1-2673-1 Tori, Ashikaga City, Tochigi
1) Helmet and Armor Experience: 4,000 yen
2) Meisen Kimono: 4,000 yen (3 hours: October - April, 1 hour: May – September)
*The kimono will be changed in case of rain.
3) Regular Kimono: Prices start from 3,500 yen; Men’s kimono: 3,000 yen
4) Yukata (Cotton Kimono. May – September): 3,000 yen
5) Hakama (Split skirt): 5,000 yen
6) Kids’ Kimono: 3,000 yen (primary school-age); 2,000 yen (preschool-age)
- Every 3rd Wednesday, Year-end holidays
Kimono rentals: from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm, return by 4:00 pm
(Overnight kimono rentals are handled from 2:00 to 4:00 pm)
1) About 5 minutes on foot from Ashikaga Station on the JR Ryomo Line
2) About 10 minutes on foot from Ashikaga Station on the Tobu Isezaki Line
- Official Website
- Official Website (English)