Built over 2000 years ago, the five shrines are revered as power spots in mountain worship.
Amanoiwato mythology has been passed on here and this shrine with over 2000 years of history has been the training place in mountain worshipping since around AD 850. Hokosha Hall at the bottom of the mountain, Hinomikosha, Chusha, Okusha, and Kuzuryusha Halls consist of Togakushi.
The whole Mt.Togakushi has been sanctified as a holy place, a power spot that attracts visitors. Each shrine, the path to Okusha Hall lined with cedars, and lake Kagami are fascinating to see.
Togakushi Shrine Chusha is at the center of the five halls. Stop by at the triple cedar over 800 years old and the “dragon picture on the ceiling” which is said to shower you with power.
Walking 40 minutes on the path to Okusha Hall, you will arrive at Okusha, the main hall of Togakushi Shrine. The 500m-long path is lined with magnificent cedars that have been planted in the early 1700s. It is Nagano’s historical site / natural treasure.
In another 40-min walk from Okusha, you will reach beautiful Kagami Pond, reflecting the great nature of Togakushi mountains like a mirror.
A historical shrine over 2000 years old, revered in mountain worship and training.
Hokosha, Hinomikosha, Chusha, Okusha, and Kuzuryusha Halls make up Togakushi Shrine.
At Chusha, in the middle of the five hall, see the triple cedar over 800 years old and the “dragon picture on the ceiling.”
Along the path to Okusha, cedars from the early 1700s line for about 500m. Designated as Nagano’s historical site / natural treasure.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 3506 Togakushi Chusha, Nagano City, Nagano (Chusha)
- 026-254-2001 (Chusha)
- Open every day (Hokosha, Okusha and Kuzuryuusha are closed in winter)
- Free to visit anytime (Hours vary depending on different halls)
1) from JR Hokuriku Shinkansen, Nagano Station, ride the Alpico Bus bound for Togakushi-Kogen via Loop Bridge for an hour. Get off at Togakushi Chusha Mae and walk for 1min.
2) from Joshinetsu Expressway, Nagano Interchange, drive for 1 hour and 5 min to Chusha.
3) from Joshinetsu Expressway, Shinano Interchange, drive for 30 min to Chusha.
- Credit Cards
- Not accepted
- Official Website
- Official Website (Japanese)