Nankin-machi (Nanjing town)
A vibrant town full of incredibly delicious food! The largest China town in Western Japan
"Nankin-machi" (Japanese name for Nanjing town) in Kobe is one of the three best Chinatowns in Japan, along with Yokohama Chinatown and Nagasaki Shinchi Chinatown. There are more than 100 Chinese restaurants, Japanese and Western restaurants, grocery stores, general stores, and many other stores lining the streets. You can enjoy authentic Chinese street foods such as pork buns, shark fin, baked Xiaolongbao, and Peking duck while walking down the lively streets.
There is a 6.8-meter high Chinese-style Azumaya (pavilion) in Nankin-machi Square, located in the center of Nankin-machi. 13 stone statues surround the Azumaya. The main street has three gorgeous Chinese-style gates, including the east "Choan-mon" Gate, the west "Seian-mon" Gate, and the south "Kaiei-mon" Gate.
The town holds various events throughout the year, such as the Chinese New Year festival in January or February and the Mid-Autumn Festival in September or October. The entire city is even more full of excitement during these times.
Exploring the exotic town, Nankin-machi almost feels like you are visiting a theme park in another country.
It is also a popular place among tourists because of how close it is to Sannomiya Station, one of Kobe’s main stations.
Nankin-machi is one of the three best Chinatowns in Japan, with over 100 unique restaurants.
You can enjoy a full selection of authentic Chinese food.
There are gorgeous Chinese-style buildings such as the Nankin-machi square and three different gates.
The town holds various lively events throughout the year, such as the Chinese New Year festival and the Mid-Autumn Festival.
Nankin-machi square has statues of a panda and the twelve animals of the Chinese zodiac.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 1or2 Sakaemachi-dori / Motomachi-dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe City, Hyogo Prefecture
- 078-332-2896 (Nankin-machi Shopping Street Promotion Association)
- Business Hours
- Vary depending on store
- Vary depending on store
(1) 7-minute walk from Kencho-mae Station on the Kobe Municipal Subway Seishin-Yamate Line.
(2) About a 5-minute walk from Motomachi Station on the JR Kobe Line and Hanshin Electric Railway.
(3) About a 10-minute walk from Hankyu Kobe Sannomiya Station.
(4) About a 2-minute walk after getting off at Kyukyoryuchi-Daimarumae Station on the Kobe Municipal Subway Kaigan Line.
- Official Website
- Official Website (Japanese)