This is the oldest hot spring in Japan, which flourished as a bathing spot（Yugoriba） for Kumano pilgrims.
It is located along the Nakahechi Route (Akagi-goe and Dainichi-goe ridges) on Kumano Kodo Path, nationally known as Japan’s oldest hot spring. It was opened 1800 years ago. Emperors Shirakawa, Toba, Goshirakawa and Gotoba stopped here on the way to Kumano, which made this hot spring widely known.
The source spring is still very active. The sulfur-sodium-hydrogen carbonate spring is said to be effective for neuralgia and rheumatoid. The hot water is distributed to Hotel, inns, bathing facilities and medicinal hot springs in the village for visitors to enjoy the efficacy.
Of those, Tsuboyu is a public bath registered as a world heritage. Natural rocks surround the small hot spring, which sometimes change colors 7 times a day. Hot spring maniacs would be delighted. The space is big enough for three people and the structure is quite simple, but visitors love the wild atmosphere. You take turns every 30 min.
The source spring is very hot at 90℃. Along the stream through the village, hot spring holes are set up. Buy eggs or vegetables at nearby stores and soak them here for a unique cooking experience.
Opened 1800 years ago. Known nationally as Japan’s oldest hot spring.
The source spring is still very active with medicinal effects.
Tsuboyu, a small hot spring surrounded by natural rocks, recommended to onsen maniacs.
The public bathing facility is renovated until spring of 2022.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 110 Yunomine, Hongucho, Tanabe City, Wakayama
- 0735-42-0074 (Yunomine Onsen Public Bath, Tsuboyu), 0735-42-0735 (Kumano Hongu Tourism Association)
- None (closed in case of bad weather and cleaning twice/year)
- Business Hours
- 780yen (During the renovation of the public bathing house, 400yen)
1) from JR Kisei Honsen Line, Kii-Tanabe Station, ride Ryujin Bus for 1 hour and 40 min
2) from JR Kisei Honsen Line, Shingu Station, ride Nara-Kotsu Bus or Kumano-Gobo Nankai Bus for 1 hour and 10 min
- Credit Cards
- Not accepted
- Official Website
- Official Website (English)