Shibu Onsen Resort
An ancient hot spring with 1,300 years of history. People love to visit all nine hot springs with various medicinal effects as “Kyu-to meguri.”
Hot Spring Resort
Shibu Onsen Resort in Yudanaka is made up of nine hot springs along Yokoyu and Yomase Rivers in Yamanouchi-machi, Shimotakai-gun in Nagano. Shibu Onsen is one of the nine, opened about 1,300 years ago, and has been used as a therapeutic bath.
There is so much hot water that people say “If you dig, you will get hot water.” All the inns and public baths in the resort have 100% source springs flowing constantly. The town folks have been maintaining nine public baths, which guests at Shibu Onsen can use without extra charge. (Non-guests can use the ninth bath Oyu alone for 500 yen, 10am-5pm.)
It will be fun to try the “Kyu-to meguri” - touring around the nine hot springs with a wish towel to put commemorative stamps on. At the inn you are staying, borrow the key to the outdoor bath, get the wish towel (350 yen) and head for the bath. It is said when you visit all nine baths, wash away your pains and worries, go up to Shibutaka-Yakushi Temple and make a wish, it will come true.
Enjoy “Kyu-to meguri” in the historic baths, find your favorite hot water and visit local people.
After soaking in the hot spring, meander in the retro town and find local gourmet food such as traditional onsen rice cakes, gelato to cool you down after a hot bath or the famous soba noodles.
One of the hot springs in Shibu Onsen Resort of Yudanaka, opened almost 1300 years ago.
Plenty of hot springs supply 100% of hot water to all the inns and public baths in town.
”Kyu-to meguri”, touring around nine source springs is popular. Try hot waters with varied medicinal effects.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- Yamanouchimachi, Shimotakaigun, Nagano
- 0269-33-2921 (Shibu Onsen Ryokan Union)
- The nine outdoor baths are always open
- Outdoor baths: 6am-10pm (may not be available during cleaning, etc )
- Nine outdoor baths are free to inn guests
1) From Nagano Electric Railway, Yudanaka Station, ride the Nagaden Bus bound for Snow Monkey Park, Okushiga Kogen, or Shirane Kazan for 4 min. Get off at Shibu Wagobashi and the inn is nearby.
2) From Joshin-etsu Expressway, Shinshu-Nakano Interchange, drive for 40 min.
- Credit Cards
- Not accepted
- Official Website
- Official Website (English)