Kanda Jimbocho Secondhand Bookstores
With Over 170 shops, it is the World’s Largest Bookseller Street
The world’s largest street of bookstores is in Jimbocho, a neighborhood in the Kanda district of Tokyo’s Chiyoda Ward.
With over 170 shops dealing in used books, there are many genres of reading material to choose from.
In addition to Japanese publications, there are shops handling old books from around the world as well as precious and rare reading materials.
While most shops handle secondhand books, some deal in new books and sundries.
What’s more, the streets are dotted with cafes where you can relax and enjoy reading.
At the annual autumn festival, many people gather to see lots of books line the streets.
Jimbocho Crossing is at the center of this bookseller street, right above Jimbocho Subway Station. Many bookstores line the street along the south side of Yasukuni Dori. .
Jimbocho is the world’s largest shopping street for old books.
A book festival is held here every autumn.
Enjoy reading a book at one of the cafes dotting the streets.
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- Kanda Jimbocho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
- It depends on the shop, but many are closed on Sundays and national holidays
1) About 1 minute on foot from Jimbocho Station on the Tokyo Metro Hanzomon Line or the Toei Mita Line and Toei Shinjuku Line
2) About 10 minutes on foot from Ochanomizu Bridge Entrance of Ochanomizu Station on the JR Chuo Line
- Official Website
- Official Website (Japanese)