The National Museum of Art
The museum is located in the city of Osaka and focuses on contemporary art.
Museum, Osaka opened in 1977, utilizing the building of the World Exposition Art Museum, which was constructed for the 1970 Japan World Exposition in Suita, Osaka. Later, due to the aging of the building and other reasons, the museum was newly built and moved to its current location in Nakanoshima in the fall of 2004. The new building was designed in a completely underground style, which is rare in the world, and its stylish exterior was inspired by the " vitality of bamboo and the development and growth of contemporary art ".
The museum collects and exhibits excellent works of art from Japan and abroad, regardless of genre, with a focus on post-World War II contemporary art. The collection consists of about 8,000 pieces. In addition, the museum regularly organizes a variety of special exhibitions. It holds many events like lectures, gallery talks, workshops, and sometimes film screenings.
The restaurant and café "Nakanoshima Muse" on the B1F of the museum offers a variety of café and dining options, as well as a collaboration menu to coincide with the exhibitions (the restaurant is also open to visitors for meals).
Located in the center of Osaka City.
The building itself is artistic and attractive, especially when it is lit up after sunset.
Visitors are welcome to use the museum's restaurants and stores only.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 4-2-55 Nakanoshima, Kita-ku, Osaka City, Osaka
Monday, Year-end and New Year holidays
*If Monday is a national holiday, the museum will be open on Monday and closed on the following Tuesday.
*In other cases, the museum may be temporarily closed.
- Business Hours
10:00am-5:00pm (Admission allowed until 4:30pm)
Night Opening Hours (Fridays and Saturdays: 10:00am - 8:00pm (admission until 7:30pm)
< Collection Exhibition > 430 yen for adults, 130 yen for university students, free of charge for high school students, those under 18, and those over 65 (proof required).
*Admission fees for exhibitions other than the Collection Exhibition vary depending on the exhibition.
<Night time discount> 250 yen for adults, 70 yen for university students (valid after 5:00pm on Fridays and Saturdays)
1) About a 5 minute walk from Watanabebashi Station on the Keihan Nakanoshima Line
2) Approximately 15 minutes walk from Yodoyabashi Station on the Keihan Main Line and Osaka Metro Midosuji Line.
3) Approximately 10 minutes walk from Higobashi Station on the Osaka Metro Yotsubashi Line
4) Approximately 10 minutes walk from JR Osaka Loop Line Fukushima Station or JR Tozai Line Shin-Fukushima Station.
5) Approximately 10 minutes on foot from Hanshin Fukushima Station
6) Approximately 20 minutes walk from Hankyu Osaka-Umeda Station
- Credit Cards
- Accepted (VISA, MasterCard, UC, SAISON CARD, UnionPay, JCB, AMERICAN EXPRESS, DinersClub, DISCOVER）
- Official Website
- Official Website (English)