National Museum of Western Art
An Art Museum Displaying a Large Number of Western Works
The National Museum of Western Art was established in 1959.
The core of this collection is based on 370 works of Western art that had been collected in Europe by Kojiro Matsukata, the former president of Kawasaki Shipping.
Currently, about 6,000 works of are stored here. The spheres of paintings, sculpture, sketches, woodblock prints, and handicrafts are covered.
The Main Building of the Museum was designed by the French architect, Le Corbusier. It is one of the 17 buildings he designed registered as a World Cultural Heritage Site.
- Many valuable works of Western art are displayed here.
- The Main Building is registered as a World Cultural Heritage Site.
Learn more about 'National Museum of Western Art'
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 7-7 Ueno Koen, Taito-ku, Tokyo
- 03-5777-8600 (Hello Dial)
- Business Hours
Friday / Saturday: Permanent Collection 9:30-20:00, Special Exhibitions 9:30-Varries by exhibition
※Must enter by 30 mins before closing.
- Mondays (If Monday is a holiday, it will be closed the following day), New Year’s holidays
- Admission Fee for the Permanent Collection
- General 500 yen, University Student 250 yen, Under 18/Seniors 65+ FREE
(1) About a 2-minute walk from the park exit of the JR Yamanote Line, Keihin Tohoku Line, and Ueno Tokyo Line’s Ueno Station
(2) About an 8-minute walk from the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line and Hibiya Line’s Ueno Station
- Official Website
- Official Website (English)
Nearby facilities (spots,etc)
Highball's Ueno StationA highball bar inside Ueno Station with a dispenser of strong seltzer water
Up Café Ecute Ueno restaurantA cafe with online posts showcasing the charm of Ueno's neighborhood
Humming Cafe By Plame Collome ecute UenoA cute cafe run by a department store
Tokori Ueno Bamboo Garden ShopA modern Korean restaurant with a variety of dishes and levels of spiciness.
Oto Oto Ueno, Bamboo GardenBar of creative Japanese cuisine representing all four seasons, full of color
BAR PINOLO UenoAn Italian bar with a sense of freedom and easy access from the train station
Vegetable House Mei UenoDining with vegetables freshly picked every morning in an aesthetic way
Obon de Gohan Ueno branchA delicious Japanese restaurant serving convenient, healthy, nutritionally balanced dishes
OTTIMO Seafood garden Sakura TerraceEnjoy an Italian restaurant that takes pride in its seafood dishes and has a sommelier-selected wine list