National Museum of Nature and Science
Learn About the Formation of Earth and the Japanese Archipelago
The National Museum of Nature and Science is Japan’s only comprehensive science museum that focuses on natural history and the history of science and technology. It is located in Ueno Park.
The “Japan Gallery” features exhibits on the nature and history of the Japanese archipelago, its formation, and its relationship with nature. The first basement floor also features a museum shop and a theater.
The “Global Gallery” features exhibits on the history of humanity in the ever-changing world as other types of life begin and end.
Thrilling skeletons of tyrannosaurus and triceratops
The “Japan Gallery” is a neo-renaissance-style building finished in 1931 featuring an airplane-type design meant to represent the science and technology of the time. Designated as an Important Cultural Property of Japan.
Outdoor displays include a rocket launcher which launched Japan’s first satellite “Oosumi” and a freight train steam locomotive that was in operation until 1975
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 7-20 Uenokoen, Taito-ku, Tokyo
630 yen, free for high school students and younger
※Additional fee required for admission to special exhibits and planned exhibits.
※Free for guests over 65 years of age (ID required)
※Free admission to permanent exhibits on May 18th and November 3rd
Mondays (The following day if Monday is a holiday), Dec. 28th to Jan. 1st
※Subject to temporary closures.
- Business Hours
9:00am-5:00pm (Admission allowed until 4:30pm)
[Fridays, Saturdays] 9:00am-8:00pm (Admission allowed until 7:30pm)
*Subject to change.
(1) About a 5-minute walk from the park exit of the JR Yamanote Line, Keihin Tohoku Line, and Ueno Tokyo Line’s Ueno Station
(2) About a 10-minute walk from exit 7 of the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line and Hibiya Line’s Ueno Station
(3) About a 10-minute walk from the main exit of the Keisei Line’s Keisei Ueno Station
- Credit Cards
- Accepted (American Express, Diners Club, JCB, MasterCard, Visa, Discover)
- Official Website
- Official Website (English)