Ameyoko Shopping Street (Ameya Yokocho)
A Popular Shopping Street Selling Everything from Food to Clothes
This shopping street stretches about 500 meters between JR Ueno Station and JR Okachimachi Station, and it is home to around 400 shops.
The shops are widely varied, including ones selling food, sweets, clothing, general goods, and jewelry. The street’s shops are open year-round with great prices, so the lively atmosphere makes it feel like the old-timey Shitamachi area of Tokyo.
There are even plenty of food stalls and restaurants where you can enjoy cheap and delicious food.
The area is packed with visitors, both locals and tourists, every day, but it’s even more crowded around the New Year’s holidays when people come to buy New Year’s items.
A shopping street packed with visitors, both locals and foreign tourists.
Some shops let you haggle, a rarity in Tokyo.
Wide variety of available foods make it a good place to visit for trying out foods.
Post a review and receive a scratch card!
Scratch the card to get coupons that are useful for traveling in Japan!
- Name in Japanese
- Postal Code
- 6-10-7 Ueno, Taito-ku, Tokyo (Ameyoko Shopping Street Association)
- 03-3832-5053 (Ameyoko Shopping Street Association, 10:00am-8:00pm)
(1) About a 3-minute walk from the JR Yamanote Line and the JR Keihin-Tohoku Line’s Ueno Station Shinobazu exit
(2) About a 3-minute walk from the JR Yamanote Line and the JR Keihin-Tohoku Line’s Okachimachi Station
- Official Website
- Official Website (Japanese)